My body is starting to lose it’s shit slightly. It’s not entirely fun, but at least I know I’m not just ingesting a christload of placebos.
(warning – gross body talk incoming)
I mentioned in passing that I’d been “spotting” through the second week – welp, that turned into an epic, completely unscheduled period, the likes of which I’ve not seen since high school. It was kinda horrific and unexpected and creepy.
Interestingly, Pharmacist Jerry was really kind of thrilled that this has happened (he’s very invested in this, btw). Conversation went like this:
JERRY: Hangon. So – we started the diet just after your last period, so this one’s really early?
ME: Yes. It’s the worst.
JERRY: (thinking face) OH. I know what’s happened.
JERRY: When a fat deposit is formed, it essentially cryo-freezes whatever’s happening in your body at the time. When the fat deposit breaks down, whatever was in there becomes active again. So in your case, you just accidentally triggered a big upswing of estrogen, which caused a period.
ME: Is this sort of like how the arctic circle is melting and all these ancient plagues are re-emerging as a result?
JERRY: (long pause) Sort of.
Once this particular womanly ailment had passed, my nethers had greater things in store for me – in the form of a slowly brewing UTI. It’s being dampened a little by a Cranberry supplement but if the damn thing doesn’t shift soon, I’m going to have to switch to antibiotics, which is DEEPLY undesirable.
I have been sitting in a stew of discomfort and irritability as a result. Apologies to all who have discovered this the hard way.
What went wrong:
- WELL. All of the above?
- Work has been an escalating epic of diva behavior and passive aggression (mostly not from me) and it’s taking it’s toll. It’s been very – VERY – hard not to just huddle in a corner with a bottle of wine. There has been some chocolate. I’m not proud.
- I did some yoga, it was hard. I also learnt that my mat is not thick enough to let me do this on a hardwood floor (RIP my knees). So I need to clear some room on carpet to try again – and anyone who has visited my house knows how laughable that is.
How I feel:
- Sad, most of the time. Food is an emotional crutch and I haven’t shaken that.
- It sounds like a given, but I’m not often actively hungry on this diet. The supplements and suppressants are mighty. That said, I’ve been having more moments of gutchurning hunger. Especially during my period, that was the worst.
- My skin is drying up horribly. I’ve been going to sleep with a big layer of sorbolene on my face, but the cats keep trying to eat it so this plan is flawed.
- God I love eggs. Eggs are the best.
- I did an “apple day” on saturday – i.e. I only eat apples for all three meals. I think the recommended was seven, but I could only manage four. I would have been so much happier if it had been ANY other kind of fruit.
- This has got to be the longest I’ve gone without coke, and I miss it horribly.
- The level of food prep is getting pretty old. Because I can’t face cold fish, all my work lunches have to be chicken, so even if I’m not eating chicken for dinner, I’ll still be cooking chicken in prep for the next day. Two separate lots of cooking in an evening is hard. On the upside, I’ve learnt a lot about how to make endless chicken palatable.
These are from a few days ago. At the stage of the photos I’m about 126kg. (Apologies for my cluttered nonsense of a room. I WILL point out however that the piled blanket behind me is actually a catbed and not just dumped laundry but yes).
(I am contractually obliged to pull a stupid face)
So I’m currently about 7 kgs down. My clothes haven’t entirely gotten looser, but they do sit differently, and my belly has deflated somewhat. I see no particular difference, but apparently my face shape has shifted a little. So… yay?